KSMQ Public Television is a non-profit organization in Austin, MN. KSMQ began in 1972 as an educational broadcast training facility that ran 90 minutes of programming a day. In 46 years, the station has blossomed into a professional television outlet that brings quality public broadcasting to over 655,000 households in our region. Last year we broadcasted nearly 33,000 hours of programming on four channels: KSMQ, DW (Deutsche Welle), Create, and the Minnesota Channel.
Job Title: Managing Editor Status: Full-Time/ Salary-Exempt
Summary: KSMQ’s Managing Editor is an on-site, versatile manager who creates and directs media content production and distribution across our platforms. This is a management position and reports to the KSMQ President/CEO. He/she possesses great attention to detail, excellent computer skills, and be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Creation of media projects as assigned, and responsibility for quality control of same;
- Development and management of department budget and associated financial reports;
- Management of content production staff and freelance talent;
- Point of contact for other KSMQ department production needs;
- Responsibility for deploying content across KSMQ platforms.
- Other duties as assigned;
- This position also has frequent communication with the stations of the Minnesota Public Television Association. The incumbent will actively participate, promoting KSMQ in these discussions and reporting back as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Excellent communication skills
- Exhibit a strong commitment to the mission and goals of public broadcasting
- Must demonstrate strong technical and organizational skills
- Comfortable managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficient on Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Suite including InDesign
- Familiar with use of Skype and Zoom in television production setting
- Acquiring video content in the field adhering to NPPA best practices
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Excel
- Ability to handle complex tasks in a time sensitive environment
- Ability to learn and apply FCC rules and regulations
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and respond to emergency situations quickly
- Ability and desire to be positive, hardworking and goal oriented
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In order to perform the essential functions of this position, you must be able to sit, walk, stand, use your hands, reach, speak, and hear. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Close and distance vision (20 feet or more) and the ability to observe an area that can be seen to move up and down or left and right are required by this position. May require walking primarily on a level surface for extended periods of time throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 15 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional equipment as found in a typical office environment.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume, and two current references to:
KSMQ Human Resources
2000 8th Avenue NW
Austin, MN 55912
or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.
KSMQ Public Television is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
- 5+ years of full time professional television or other media production experience in a company setting;
- Experience budgeting media projects and maintaining financial records of same;
- Exceptional people skills and team builder.
- College degree preferred.